Delaware, OH Race Cancelled
Unfortunately, Mother nature has not been kind to us at Delaware the last 4 yrs and this year is no exception. The rain has yet to stop in the area and the lake is 8ft higher than normal “summer pool”. Based on the latest readings available for the lake website, the Corps seem to be holding water to prevent flooding downstream, as the outflow at the dam has been reduced to next to nothing. I have attached 2 pictures taken yesterday and today by Jim Sweeney. The location is the upper boat launch ramp, as he was unable to get to the pits – the gate was closed. The first pictures shows the dock used to launch boats & the 2nd the same. Per Jim, he would have been underwater if he tried to take today’s picture from the same spot as yesterday. As you can see, even if the lake crested today and started to drain, it would be awhile before it was back to normal and it would bring all that debris off the backs with it. Take that and add a questionable weather forecast in regards to wind this weekend, there are just too many negatives for us to continue planning a quality event.
I was to thank Carl & Pat Holt for handling the club transportation for the last couple of years. Without getting the equipment on site, we can’t even think of racing. I also want to thank Jim & Amy Sweeney for not only opening their home to everyone for the Crew Party, which really made this the quality event it has become, but also for all their help over the years, from storage of the club equipment the week prior & afterward as well as being available to check on the water for us. Also Dana Holt for handling all the pre-race work to get us on the site and all the work he does in the pits running the race.
I hope to see everyone at Franklin, PA on May 24 & 25th or Lakemore, OH on July 5 & 6 for the Modified Central Divisionals.
Any questions or comments, please let me know.